Did you know that the majority of people are in relationships for a variety of reasons, and each individual’s motivations are unique to them while some are just in relationships with no clear reasons. Relationships have now become something to boast about and a good number of the youths get into relationships without a reason but simply following a trend. This week’s Coffee Bar Tuesday, we asked the participants if they have any reason to be in a relationship and as usual we got different perspectives of why people are or not in a relationship.
A good number of participants also said they are single due to different reasons such as they are concentrating on something important, they haven’t had someone who meets what they are looking for, not ready for commitment, not in a position to take responsibility and others just love being single since it saves them from pillow talks. Some of the reasons why people are in a relationship include sex, companionship, someone to have a future with, someone to hold you and show you the way and others are in a relationship to have a family.
One of the participants said he was single because he wanted to focus on his career and build himself up because he wanted to break the cycle of poverty. Another participant pointed out that love is a scam and relationships are simply a waste of time. It was also noted that a lot of participants who were single, viewed relationships as expensive and a waste of time. One particular participant stated that being in a relationship sounds more like you’re under someone. Other participants thought that relationships are nagging and they wanted peace of mind even if it meant to stay single.
“ I like my freedom and I don’t like to be answerable to anyone. I don’t like being asked where I am, what am doing or whom I am with ” One Participant said
One particular participant commented on the topic of discussion and praised those who are single, pointing out that youths who come from marginalized communities such as slums should focus on their talents and careers. This is mainly because the majority of them depend on a supportive system for survival and thus cannot sustain a relationship. This was a heated discussion with another participant responding by saying that you might wait for the right time and still not make it in life and advised him to try.
It was also also pointed out that the majority of adults who are broke wasted money in relationships when they were youths instead of building themselves up. Those in relationships gave different reasons which included;
- Emotional Connection: One of the primary reasons people are in relationships is to form a deep emotional connection with someone. Being in a relationship allows individuals to have someone to share their thoughts, feelings, and experiences with.
- Companionship: Many people choose to be in relationships for companionship. Having someone to spend time with and do activities with can make life more enjoyable.
- Love and Intimacy: Romantic relationships are often based on love and intimacy. Many people seek out relationships to find someone they can share physical and emotional intimacy with.
- Support and Security: Being in a relationship can provide emotional and financial support, as well as a sense of security. People may seek out relationships to have someone they can rely on during difficult times.
- Shared Goals and Values: When people are in relationships, they often share similar goals and values. This can help them work together to achieve their goals and live a fulfilling life together.
It was also pointed out that apart from money and sex, a lot of people can’t explain a solid reason why they got in a relationship. One participant said that she could provide for herself and therefore could not commit to someone.At the end, we all agreed that your mental health state should always come first in everything you do. No one should force you to be in a relationship if you are not ready, no one should tell you that being single is not okay. Always do something because you want to and not because you are being pressured by society or anyone. See you on Tuesday!